Have you ever been in a clothing store, trying on jeans, and got frustrated because they don’t have your size? Or maybe you’ve found the perfect pair of jeans but can’t decide on the right size waistband?
Don’t worry; it’s not just you. A lot of people have trouble finding jeans that fit well. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to measure waist for jeans so you can find the perfect pair for your body type every time. Stay tuned!
How to Measure Your Waist for Jeans
1. How to Measure Waist and Length for Jeans
There are two ways to discover what size of jeans you need by measuring waist and length.
Option one is to measure the denim pants you already have. You can use the measurement of your favourite and most comfortable jeans as a guide for purchasing new ones.
Just lay them flat on the ground and measure these three things with a measuring tape:
- Waistband. Lay the jeans flat on a level surface and measure the waistband with tape. To calculate your waist size, double the number. Bear in mind that the rise influences waist measurements.
- Inseam. To determine the ideal length, measure the distance from the crotch seam to the ankle hem.
- Rise. That is the distance between the crotch seam and the top of the waistband. Low-rise jeans rise to 8”, mid-rise up to 9.5”, and high-rise is usually everything over 10”.
Option two is to take your body measurements. You will need to measure the same three features.
- Waistband. The waistline is measured at the body’s narrowest point or the natural waist. Before you start, decide on the rise of jeans you will buy. For mid-rise, you should measure in line with or slightly below the navel, whereas for a high-rise, it should be an inch above the navel.
Place the measuring tape just above your belly button at the smallest part of your waist, with your feet slightly apart. Then, wrap the tape around your waist and relax your stomach. Keep the tape snug but not tight and parallel to the floor.
The measurements are most precise when the measuring tape touches your skin. There should be no clothing in the way.
- Inseam. Same as above, you should measure your legs from the crotch to the ankle. Using the inseam length, meaning the length of your legs, you can determine how long you want your jeans to be. Cropped jeans are not more than 28” long, while full-length pants are 29” or longer.
- Rise. Choose one of these types of jeans—rise, high, mid-rise, and low-rise. Take a look at the measurements in inches for all types of rises in option one.
Once you know these numbers, you can use them to compare jeans online to a size chart.
2. How to Measure Jeans Size
Remember, there is no standard size for jeans. Every brand has different sizing and dimensions, so it’s best to measure your waist and inseam before shopping.
Now that you have your jean’s waist size, length and rise measurement, you can use the brand’s conversion chart to find your corresponding jeans size. This chart is typically on a company’s website. Jeans and pants are sized differently by certain brands. So, it’s best to check online the corresponding size to your measurements.
There is a separate chart for men’s and women’s fit. Both show the pants size, waist measurement and jeans size. So, for example, women from 26” to 29” waist have pants size S and jeans size 25” or 26”.
3. What Is the Inseam Length?
Inseam is the length of your pants from the crotch seam to the bottom of the leg. It’s mostly used for measuring men’s and some women’s pants.
The inseam length is often referred to as the leg measurement. But, it’s important to say that it’s not the same as a length measurement.
One pair of pants will have a different length and inseam. The length is measured from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the leg. This number is useful because it can help you determine the rise of your pants.
4. How to Measure Leg Length for Jeans
You can measure the leg length for pants by following these three simple steps.
- Put on the shoes you wear with your jeans. That way, you will be sure that your pants won’t be too long or too short.
- Stand straight with your back leaning against a wall. It’s best if someone else takes your measurement while you stand, as those are usually more accurate than self-measurements.
- Using a tape, measure the length from the crotch to the ankle. Start measuring from the top of your thigh, down your leg, to the top of your shoe or ankle bone. The number you get is your inseam or leg length.
Another option is to measure the pair of jeans that fit you well. Just lay them down on the floor and measure the same length as above.
Now that you know how to measure jeans length, you will no longer have problems with your new pants being too long or too short.
5. How to Measure Rise on Jeans
The distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband is the rise of jeans. It’s usually measured in inches, and it can be high, mid, or low. Some companies use different terms for the same rise. For example, Levi’s offers several low-rise styles but refers to them as ‘modern rise’.
High-rise jeans have a rise of 9.5” (24 cm) or more, while low-rise jeans have a rise of 8” (20 cm) or less.
Mid-rise jeans are between the two, with a rise of 8 to 9.5” (20 to 24 cm).
To measure the rise of your jeans, follow these steps:
- put on your jeans and fasten them;
- with a measuring tape, record the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband;
- measure from the front side and the backside for the best fit.
You can also measure the rise of a pair of jeans that fit you well. Just lay them down on the floor and measure the distance from the crotch seam to the top of the waistband. Again, measure from both the front and the back for the most accurate number.
Keep in mind that the rise measurement is not always accurate. That’s because different brands have different sizing standards. So, a pair of jeans size 30 by one brand may be a different size by another brand.
That’s why it’s best to try on a few types of jeans before you buy them. That way, you can find the perfect fit for your body type.
6. How to Measure Waist Men
The principle of how to measure the waist for jeans for men and women is the same. Conversion to sizes, on the other hand, is usually different. For example, a waist of 30” will be sized 29–31 in women’s jeans and a size 28 in men’s jeans.
The reason is that men’s jeans are cut differently from women’s jeans. Compared to the waist circumference, a woman’s jeans have a broader hip width. A smaller waist-to-hip circumference ratio is found in men’s jeans.
7. Where Is a Man’s Waist for Pants?
Your natural waistline is where your hip bone and rib cage meet. That is the narrowest point of the waist. It can be bigger or smaller, depending on your genetics, frame size, and lifestyle habits.
8. How to Measure Waist for High Waisted Jeans
Depending on the rise of your jeans, you will measure your waist differently. If you want to buy a high-rise, you should measure 11” to 12” above your crotch point.
The crotch point is the point on your jeans or pants where the horizontal seam and the vertical seam intersect.
So, there you have it. Shopping for jeans is a breeze when you know your waist size.
Instead of searching through racks and piles of clothing, you can narrow your choices down to a few options that are sure to fit.
When you’re armed with your waist measurement, finding the perfect pair of jeans is a cinch. With these tips, you’re sure to find the one that fits like a glove.